BEETHOVEN’S SYMPHONY No. 6 ON THE WEB
The Ljubljana Philharmonics performed the symphony in 1818, on February 28. As it hadn’t been printed yet, they had to ask the composer for handwritten music scores. He complied with their request and sent them a transcripted copy with his handwritten corrections – the copy is kept in the Music Collection of the National and University Library.
Matthias von Tuscher, the Vienna Magisterial Councillor, enabled the philharmonics to give the composer a diploma of the Philharmonic Society (Philharmonische Gesellschaft) honorary member (dated 15 March 1819), the Society statute and the membership list. Beethoven thanked them in the letter dated 4 May 1819; he wrote that he appreciated the recognition for his "not great" merits in the musical arts confirmed by the Ljubljana Philharmonic Society. Letter was originally kept in the archives of the Philharmonic Society, but immediately after the First World War, the cultural society Glasbena matica, Ljubljana sold it to Switzerland. Since 1956, the letter is kept in the Beethoven House in Bonn.